Intermediate Seminar 2019 (Friday, 4th period)
1. The Contents of this class
In this course, we will study essential empirical topics of contemporary sociology as are mentioned below.
The textbook will be provided by the instructor. Students need to read the text carefully and make a presentation about it.
4/19 Cities and Urban Life
4/26 Social Interaction and Daily Life
1. The drama of daily life / Non-verbal communication / Face, body and speech in interaction: Aoyama
2. The rules of social interaction / The emergent rules of online interaction / Conclusion: proximity and distance in human interactions: Xu
5/10 The Life Course
1. The social self and socialization / The life course: Dinh
2. Ageing / Death, dying and bereavement: Farr
5/17 Families and Intimate Relationships
1. 'The family' as institution and ideology / Family practices: Kunisue
2. Family diversity and intimate relations / Families in global context / Conclusion: Kuramoto
5/24 Health, Illness and Disability
1. Sociology of the body / The sociology of health and illness (Defining health, Biomedicine and its critics, Pandemics and globalization): Matsumura
2. The sociology of health and illness (Sociological perspectives on health and illness) / The social basis of health / The sociology of disability / Health and disability in a changing world: Oda
5/31 Stratification and Social Class
1. Systems of stratification / Theorizing social class / Mapping the class structure: Matsuura
2. Class divisions in the developed world / Social mobility / Conclusion: Saito
6/07 Gender and Sexuality
6/14 Race, Ethnicity and Migration
6/28 The Media
7/05 Crime and Deviance
7/12 Politics, Government and Social Movements
7/19 Nations, War and Terrorism
Submit an essay on the topic of your presentation. Write about 1000 words.
Submit it at the finel seminar (July 20th). If you cannot submit it in the final class, please post it to 11-1426 (Sakurai office) by July 20th. If you are late, your essay is not acceptable.
Grading: Attendance, Participation and Essay